Northfield Road, Ruskington
- Category: New Builds / North Kesteven District Council
- Project: Construction of 13nr dwellings providing flexible living accommodation
- Value: £1,257,958
- Timescale: 46 weeks
- Completion: October 2014
- Client: North Kesteven District Council Contact: Russell Shortland Telephone: 01529 414155 Email: Russell_Shortland@n-kesteven.gov.uk
- Architect and Engineer: Chaplin Farrant Ltd
- CDM Co-ordinator: WT Partnership
Northfield Road, Ruskington is a contract that we tendered on a design and build basis for North Kesteven District Council which consists of thirteen units on an old garage and sheltered homes site.
North Kesteven District Council were the first Local Authority to build straw houses for council tenants and this project was another first, by building “curvy houses” for tenants.
The uniquely designed curvy homes were developed following consultation with tenants, which meant the properties were built to extremely high insulation standards to maximise energy usage. The properties are flexible which allows them to be altered easily to meet the changing needs of the residents, such as changing the amount of bedrooms by sub-dividing rooms.
The overall scheme took just ten months to complete and the units were designed and constructed in line with North Kesteven District Councils “Fabric First” standard, as well as achieving Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3 and NHBC standards.
This project despite a significant amount of changes was brought in on time and within budget and delivered a very high standard of finish.